Is Black Mold Growing in Your Bathroom Considered Dangerous?

Dealing with Mold Growth in Your Bathroom

There is no better breeding ground for mold than showers. For these microorganisms to thrive, they need moisture, however slight, and a poorly ventilated room. Most houses have well-ventilated rooms but forget to connect the air conditioning system to the bathroom. As a result, you will often notice black mold in your bathroom. Black mold is considered the most toxic of all the species; therefore, it should be avoided.

Whenever black mold is mentioned, it often refers to Stachybotrys Chartarum, also recognized as the toxic black mold. The mold’s color has little to do with how unsafe it is, but it hints at the risks you might be facing.

Is Black Mold Growing in Your Bathroom Considered Dangerous

Although several assumptions have been formulated to connect black mold to health risks, there is no proof that mold exposure induces memory loss, difficulty concentrating, headaches, tiredness, infant pulmonary hemorrhage, or autoimmune disorder.

Some molds produce hazardous compounds known as mycotoxins, which are not particularly dangerous when inhaled. They cause the most harm when ingested. Whereas the perils of black mold have been overstated, the fungus can lead to health issues in people who are allergic to it.

How to Know When You Have Been Exposed to Black Mold

How you react to the black mold in your shower depends on your body’s sensitivity. Some people will immediately feel the impact, while others won’t notice the mold. Any mold found indoors, whether black or not, can induce complications in people who are allergic to it. This can either be short-term or long-term exposure and can cause the following symptoms:

  • Skin rash
  • Coughing
  • Sneezing
  • Sore throat
  • Wheezing 
  • Eye irritation
  • Nasal congestion
  • Eye redness
  • Watery eyes
  • Asthma attacks

These symptoms can be worse for people with chronic health conditions like asthma, weak immune systems, and mold allergies.

When to See a Doctor

Although some people may not exhibit any signs of mold exposure, it is not good to be exposed for an extended period. If you suspect you have been exposed for an extended period, consult a physician to ensure you are in good health. Prolonged exposure can cause chronic respiratory problems, so it should not be taken lightly. This is true even for people who have no sensitivity or allergic reactions.

Close contact with the mold may increase the risk of a reaction. Therefore, if you come into contact with mold, whether black or another type, clean up thoroughly. This aids in the removal of mold from your skin and may even lessen irritation caused by microorganisms.

If these symptoms persist after exposure, or if you experience more severe symptoms such as nose bleeds and difficulty breathing, it is time to see a doctor. While the symptoms may not always be caused solely by mold exposure, it is always best to get a second opinion.

Some people are more vulnerable than others, so they should not be exposed to mold for an extended period. Among those affected are babies, pregnant women, the elderly, allergic individuals, those with weakened immune systems, and those suffering from chronic respiratory issues.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *